Friday, January 11, 2008

Early on



This particular painting was generated early on during my residency. As I look back over the body of work from this time, its interesting to see the shift that started to happen. I think it can be best said in two words; Clarity and Conviction. Having the luxury of time to devote solely to one purpose really helped me to refine and define what Painting means to me. It gave me the space to step out of Professional-Illustrator-Head where creating art is about the finish/outcome, rather than process. I mean why does anyone create art for the first time anyway? Because its FUN. Sometimes though when you draw for hire, the deadlines, the desire to give the client what they want, and the next project looming (or lack of!) can get in the way of the FUN.

Out of the 15 or so canvases I completed, only 5 or 6 are what I would consider successful. But the true measure of that time and space I feel is only just now starting to manifest. In the words of Patanjali's Yoga sutras, "No effort in Yoga is ever wasted." I think that applies to painting as well.

No comments: